The sunshine state is full of sand, waves, and of course – orange trees. However, even in paradise, unfortunate diseases and conditions can occur. When disaster strikes, it is important to know where to turn to find the best cancer care. The best cancer treatment centers detailed below have been profiled by Florida-based publications or have received recognition for excellence in cancer care. When looking for the best cancer care and cancer doctors in Florida, be sure to take a look at the list below.
1. H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute is the only National Cancer Institute designated cancer care center in Florida. Additionally, this hospital has more annual cases than any other facility in the state.
2. Florida Hospital Cancer Center provides care for brain and spine, breast, gastrointestinal, lung and urologic cancer. Additionally, U.S. News and World Report ranked this facility as the #1 hospital in metro Orlando.
3. The University of Florida Health Center was listed as a top 100 hospital by Becker’s Hospital Review. The center has a history of medical innovation and forward-thinking research.
4. Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center is a Miami-based center that has recently recruited over 75 cancer experts from top U.S. cancer centers across the nation. The facility boasts more than 130 cancer specialists and 115 cancer researchers.
5. Lee Memorial Health System offers patient-centered cancer care and education receiving Certification with Commendations from the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer Care. The facility also offers genetic counseling.
6. Mayo Clinic Florida received recognition as the number one hospital in Jacksonville by U.S. News and World Report and has additional national rankings in four medical specialties.
7. Eugene M. & Christine E. Lynn Cancer Institute is one of the largest cancer centers in South Florida and holds an accreditation as a Comprehensive Cancer Center by the American College of Surgeons.
8. The Cancer Institute of Florida specializes in cancer and blood disease treatment and prevention through therapy and clinical trials.
9. Boca Raton Regional Medical Center has been named as one of Florida’s best hospitals for patients to visit.
10. Florida Cancer Specialists has offered world-class cancer care for 32 years and counting.
When looking for a cancer care facility, a patient should always consider the “fit and feel” of a hospital or treatment center. Not only is it important for a patient to receive high-quality care, but he or she should also receive the best emotional support for a holistic care experience. If you're still unsure where you should receive treatment, do some additional searching. Researching is key when choosing your radiation oncology care team.