It’s 2016, and it’s no secret that a lot of people get a lot of plastic surgery. Maybe your friend got lip injections to look like Kylie Jenner, or maybe your wealthy aunt just got a nose job so she can start dating again. Regardless, it is not uncommon to know someone who has had cosmetic surgery. Plastic surgery has become a lot more common because it’s more accessible, and overall it has gotten cheaper.
Staying updated on social trends can matter for a million reasons, including cosmetic surgery trends. Whether you are interested in getting a certain surgery yourself and want to see how common it is or you’re just suspicious why your coworker’s boobs look a little different, it might be useful to know some of the most popular cosmetic surgeries your peers undergo. So, here’s a list of the most common cosmetic surgeries, in 2015, by age ranges according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.
13-19 Years Old:
- Rhinoplasty – 30,276 nose jobs were given to people between 13 and 19 years old in 2015. Rhinoplasties, or nose jobs, seems to fit well as the most popular for such an age range because if anything, it makes sense that children in this range could’ve broken their noses while playing on their high school sports team, for instance.
- Breast Augmentation – 7,840 young ladies received boob jobs at younger than 19 years old. Maybe these were all weird 18th birthday presents, or maybe they were too impatient to wait for their last growth spurt after first moving away from home. Either way, there’s no surprise here.
- Breast Reduction in Men – 7,021 young men underwent this procedure between 13 and 19 years old. It’s no secret that if you have full breasts and you’re a male, then something’s probably wrong. So, it seems reasonable to undergo this procedure when you realize there’s an issue. This is especially true if you can imagine what it’s like to have full breasts as a younger teenage boy among other heartless high-schoolers, so why not avoid being bullied if you can.
- Ear Surgery – 6,472 people underwent cosmetic ear surgery in this age range, making it the 4th most common cosmetic surgery for this age group. Maybe this helps people in this age range hear better in class?
- Dermabrasion – 3,805 teenagers underwent dermabrasion procedures in 2015, which again makes sense as when else would acne be one of the more important things in your life?
20-29 Years Old:
- Breast Augmentation – 79,640 people between 20 and 29 years old received boob jobs in 2015. This makes sense as you would most certainly realize just exactly how big your boobs are going to be during these years.
- Rhinoplasty – 69,378 nose jobs were given in 2015 to people in this age range. While there doesn’t seem to be a direct reason for this, maybe it correlates with people beginning to make a significant amount of money for themselves and then deciding to spend it on something extra, like a new nose. OR, maybe there’s a different reason.
- Liposuction – 33,985 people underwent liposuction procedures last year. It seems as if these are the people who learned earlier than the rest how inconvenient dieting and exercising can be when you are trying to get your life together in every other way too.
- Breast Lift – 13,666 women got a breast lift last year in this age group. If you’re between 20 and 29 years old and your boobs are sagging excessively, it makes sense that you might want surgery because that certainly does not seem to be because of your age.
- Tummy Tuck – 12,103 tummies were tucked in 2015 in this age group. Since you should be in your physical peak in your 20’s, it would make sense if early Moms and other people are worried enough about any excessive fat and skin on their stomach and take surgical action.
30-39 Years Old:
- Breast Augmentation – 102,585 women got boob jobs in their 30’s last year. This could easily be the result of some extra efforts to find love after a couple of failed attempts before. Or, maybe these are the women that have finally set aside enough extra money to treat themselves to an upgraded chest. Regardless of why, a lot of boob jobs are given in this age range.
- Liposuction – 74,848 people in their 30’s underwent lipo last year. This seems to be fitting as a lot things happen in your life by the time you reach your 30’s that can easily take the place of any gym time, like having kids. After all, you only have time to do so much each day.
- Nose Job – 51,468 people in their 30’s underwent rhinoplasty procedures in 2015. Maybe these are the people who are finally getting around to their broken noses in high school, or maybe these are single men and women hoping for better luck in their love lives after fixing up their noses a bit.
- Tummy Tuck – 45,206 people in their 30’s had their tummies tucked. Again, this might be because of failed gym promises, or this could be the result of Moms’ third kid really doing a number on her body. Of course, it’s probably a combination of both.
- Breast Lift – 29,899 women 30 to 39 years old decided to get a breast lift last year. Either they aged a little early, or these are very precautious women. Regardless, having sagging boobs in your 30’s might easily warrant cosmetic surgery.
40-54 Years Old:
- Eyelid Surgery – 89,733 people in this age range underwent eyelid surgery. They could be seeing early signs of their eyelids sagging, or they could be beginning to lose their vision. In either case (or any other possibility), quite a few people of this age range decided to touch up their eyelids in 2015.
- Liposuction – 86,917 people underwent a lipo procedure from this age group in 2015. This is a good time in life to worry about excess fat as it might jeopardize your health as you age at this point. It’s also a lot more difficult to pull off gym miracles in your 40’s and 50’s.
- Breast Augmentation – 82,251 women got a boob job in this age group in 2015. Women enjoy boob jobs at any point in life it seems. So, whether they are rehooking their husband, hooking a husband period, or just doing what they want, boob jobs certainly are not uncommon for this age range.
- Tummy Tuck – 52,956 of the people in this age group tucked their tummies in 2015. Again, this seems to be because of how difficult such an extreme thing can become at the gym especially with the raising importance of health as age increases.
- Rhinoplasty – 45,116 nose jobs were given to people between 40 and 54 years old in 2015. Nose jobs might bring out a certain look you desire, but just remember that nose jobs do not reverse age and gray hair.
55 Years and Older:
- Eyelid Surgery – 97,800 people over 55 years old underwent eyelid procedures. This fits with a certain time in life that people really become concerned with how youthful their appearance is especially concerning facial skin.
- Facelift – 82,389 people over 55 years old got facelifts in 2015. As you age, your skin weakens and grows thin and wrinkly. Although age brings many great things to life, wrinkling skin is not one of them. Facelifts reverse the clock for you and your skin.
- Dermabrasion – 35,024 people in this age group underwent dermabrasion procedures in 2015. Just as your teenage years, the appearance of your face might be crucial to how feel, as people over 55 would be quick to tell you.
- Liposuction – 22,760 people in this age range decided 2015 was the last of their excessive fat stage of their body. Whether they became fat in adult life, just stopped working out, or have always carried extra weight, liposuctions can be very integral to maintaining your health at such an age.
- Forehead Lift – 22,456 people got forehead lifts in 2015. Maybe it’s wisdom, but some people’s forehead begins to weigh down the rest of their faces as they grow older, causing undesired wrinkles and lines. A forehead lift is the solution for many of these people.
Everyone knows that some people get things such as boob jobs, nose jobs, Botox, and lipo, but there are quite a few plastic surgeries that are very common for people to get. Just as there are distinct differences between the most popular surgeries for women compared to the most popular for men, there are distinct differences depending on age. All these differences really stand as a testament to how popular plastic surgery has become nowadays. So, if you are concerned about who tends to get what surgery when, these lists should help. Just keep in mind that you should never make any decisions about surgery based on ranking lists, so always check with your doctor before making any serious decisions.
Written by: Russell McBurnie