While cancer will always be a difficult experience, there are certain things you can do to make it a little less stressful. One thing that will almost certainly help you decrease some stress is adequately preparing to better understand the experience as best as you can.
One way to prepare and understand the experience is to ask your radiation oncologist certain questions you will need to know the answers to. This way you will better understand what to expect during your battle. To help you prepare, we’ve listed 10 questions you might want to ask your radiation oncology team:
1. Do you recommend radiation therapy to treat my cancer?
2. What type of radiation therapy should I receive to best treat my specific cancer considering my specific circumstances?
3. What are the benefits of undergoing radiation therapy, and do they outweigh the effects of radiation?
4. What are the side effects of radiotherapy?
5. How many treatments will I need to undergo, and how long does each session last for?
7. How do I best manage the side effects of radiations?
8. What should I expect as the normal level of skin irritation and fatigue that I’ll experience during my treatment?
9. What are the potential long term side effects of my treatment, and how do I minimize those effects?
10. Where will I undergo my treatment and where will I meet with the medical professionals during my treatment?
At the end of the day, it is important to remember that each member of your radiation oncology team is there to assist you. So, try your best not to get stressed about what’s going on as they are always there to help. And, of course, always keep in mind that they will be there for when your questions arise, so don’t feel as if you need to ask your radiation oncologist all of your questions during the first meeting.